Ocon 'working hard' for 2020 race seat
Honda F1 website
Honda website

JUNE 8, 2019

Ocon 'working hard' for 2020 race seat

Esteban Ocon says his hopes of returning to the grid next year remain high.

Having missed out on a seat for 2019, the former Force India driver now travels the calendar as Mercedes' reserve.

He is strongly backed by Toto Wolff, but with Valtteri Bottas performing so well so far this year, Ocon may need to look elsewhere for a 2020 cockpit.

"It's a transition year for me," the 22-year-old Frenchman told Le Journal de Montreal.

"It's not easy to not be in the car, especially at a place like Montreal, but my management team is working very hard to get me a ride for next year," said Ocon.

"I have to show patience and I hope it will be rewarded."

In the meantime, Ocon says he is busy in the Mercedes simulator. He said he did 300 laps of the Montreal track to help the world champions prepare.

"I'm very busy in my job," he said. "I do not have much time to think about my personal situation. I am always on the simulator or at the factory.

"I help the team a lot in moving the car forward and I'm learning a lot," Ocon added. "It's no coincidence that they have won the last championships.

"When I have a new cockpit, I will be an even more complete driver."

Other stories for JUNE 8, 2019

QUALIFYING REPORT - HARD TO CRACK

SATURDAY PRESS CONFERENCE

SATURDAY TEAM QUOTES

SATURDAY PHOTOS

QUALIFYING RESULTS

PRACTICE 3 RESULTS

PRACTICE 3 REPORT - FERRARIS FOREMOST

NO 2020 CONTRACT TALK FOR BOTTAS YET

WOLFF ADMITS HOCKENHEIM FUTURE 'BLEAK'

FATHER EYES 2020 WILLIAMS RACE SEAT FOR LATIFI

OCON 'WORKING HARD' FOR 2020 RACE SEAT

HAAS REMOVES 'STAG' LOGO IN CANADA

HAMILTON 'UNBEATABLE' IN CANADA SAYS ROSBERG

MERCEDES TO APPEAR IN 2019 NETFLIX SERIES SAYS WOLFF

MAZEPIN HITS BACK AT MARKO'S MOCKERY

BINOTTO 'SATISFIED' WITH VETTEL

ABITEBOUL SLAMS $175M BUDGET CAP FIGURE

NO F1 FOR STROLL WITHOUT MONEY SAYS TAGLIANI