Formula One News — March 2016

MARCH 7, 2016

F1 figures hit back at Ecclestone

Bernie Ecclestone is taking flak amid F1's tumultuous beginning to another world championship season.

Tost's podium target not possible says Sainz

Carlos Sainz has questioned his boss's target of a podium finish on merit in 2016.

Sauber falls behind in February staff salaries

Sauber is entering yet another F1 season under a financial cloud.

Vettel yet to name 2016 title contender

Sebastian Vettel says he is yet to give a personal name to his 2016 car, which will carry the hopes of the entire Ferrari team and much of the wider F1 world.

Massa wants new nose as soon as possible

Felipe Massa has confirmed that Williams is hoping to get a new nose and front wing up and running as soon as possible.

Alonso still not ruling out Mercedes move

Fernando Alonso is still refusing to rule out a future move to Mercedes.

MARCH 5, 2016

Prost thinks qualifying may still falter

Alain Prost has warned that the qualifying saga of recent days could drag on even longer.

Ecclestone, FIA confirm musical chairs qualifying

F1's governing body as well as Bernie Ecclestone on Friday confirmed that the 'musical chairs'-style qualifying is going ahead in full in 2016.

MARCH 4, 2016

Senior F1 drivers slam broken sport

World champion drivers on Thursday slammed the current direction of formula one.

Hard to say if Hamilton's mojo is back

One big question heading into the new F1 season is whether Lewis Hamilton has his 'mojo' back.

McLaren-Honda a little behind says Alonso

Fernando Alonso says he is not sure where he will line up on the Melbourne grid.

Williams to race shorter nose in early 2016

Williams looks set to unveil a new nose for its 2016 car within the first two or three races of 2016.

Cheap engine plan for 2018 could be revived

The earlier-touted 'cheap engines' solution might soon be back on the table.

Schumacher, Alesi race towards F1 careers

Two young drivers with famous fathers will charge towards a future career on the F1 grid with strong support in their wake.

MARCH 3, 2016

Todt tells Ecclestone to stop criticising F1

Jean Todt has urged Bernie Ecclestone to stop criticising formula one.

Red Bull to test F1 cockpit canopy in April

Red Bull will test its own proposed solution to the issue of cockpit protection later this month.

Bank asks court for Mallya's arrest

Vijay Mallya on Thursday rejected calls for his arrest.

Ferrari plays down rumoured engine problems

Rumours are swirling in the Barcelona test paddock about problems with Ferrari's 2016 power unit.

Magnussen happier at Renault than at McLaren

Kevin Magnussen appears a happier man in 2016, in the wake of his ill-fated McLaren adventure.

Alonso happy at improving McLaren says Boullier

Things are finally looking up at McLaren.

Heat on Pirelli as tyre pressures rise

The heat is back on Pirelli as a new F1 season looms.

Qualifying format still unknown for Melbourn

The 'will it, won't it' saga of the ever-changing qualifying format for 2016 continued in Barcelona on Wednesday.

Wolff plays down Alonso driver swap claims

Toto Wolff has played down reports Fernando Alonso almost replaced reigning champion Lewis Hamilton at Mercedes last year.

Todt still friends with stricken Schumacher

Jean Todt says he is still friends with Michael Schumacher, even in the wake of the seven time world champion's serious head injuries.