Montreal confident about long-term F1 future
Honda F1 website
Honda website

JUNE 3, 2019

Montreal confident about long-term F1 future

With its brand new facilities, the Canadian GP venue in Montreal looks safe for the long term.

That is the view of promoter Francois Dumontier, who played down suggestions the new pit building will not be ready for this weekend's race.

"There is no embarrassment for Montreal," he told Le Journal de Montreal newspaper.

"I cannot wait to show our new facilities to the various stakeholders of F1. They had been wanting changes for years and will be just as satisfied as the spectators."

Amid delays, a contract dispute and Montreal's harsh winter, the deadline to finish the upgrade was tight.

But Dumontier said: "I knew everything would be finished on time, and that's the case. We are ready and I am very proud of it.

"We are moving to another level. The Canadian GP is now part of the major league."

And he said that unlike many other circuits on the calendar, Montreal can feel confident about its place in F1.

"We can now think about the future," said Dumontier. "We are here for a long time. We did not do all this work to lose the grand prix in 2029.

"I think F1 needs Montreal, and vice versa. When we lost our race in 2009, everyone wanted it back the following year. And that's what happened."

Other stories for JUNE 3, 2019

VETTEL STRUGGLING FOR NUMBER 1 STATUS SAYS BERGER

MONTREAL CONFIDENT ABOUT LONG-TERM F1 FUTURE

OWNER SAYS RACING POINT TARGETING VICTORY

HULKENBERG IMPRESSED BY RENAULT ENGINE FIX

RIO, SAO PAULO, FIGHT FOR 2021 BRAZIL GP

F1 INSIDER COMMENTS ON RENAULT-FERRARI ALLIANCE

BODY WANTS SUPPORT FOR NEW SPANISH GP DEAL

NO F1 TEST FOR WILLIAMS' NEW FEMALE DRIVER

MERCEDES STAYING IN F1 UNTIL 2025 SAYS REPORT

F1 'DREAM' ALMOST OVER FOR YOUNG DRIVERS SAYS VILLENEUVE