Formula One News — January 2020

JANUARY 8, 2020

Magnussen says managing Instagram account boring

Kevin Magnussen has revealed he has stepped back from personally managing his Instagram account.

Red Bull could be top team in 2020 says Montezemolo

Red Bull-Honda could be poised to break through and push for the 2020 world championship.

No talks about 2021 contract yet says Ricciardo

Daniel Ricciardo has played down the chances that he will be the next top driver to quickly sign up beyond 2020.

Verstappen news doesn't change driver market

Former F1 driver Mika Salo has backed Max Verstappen's decision to commit to Red Bull for the next four seasons.

F1 monitoring Australian bushfires

Formula 1 is "monitoring the situation" in Australia as bushfires ravage the country that is slated to kick off the new season in March.

JANUARY 7, 2020

Engineer switch helped Bottas in 2019

Lewis Hamilton says losing a key engineer to his teammate's side of the garage hurt his performance at the start of 2019.

Mercedes seat not worth risk for Ocon

Signing up Esteban Ocon to be Lewis Hamilton's Mercedes teammate in 2020 was ruled out by Toto Wolff because of the "risk".

Rossi admits he turned down Ferrari in 2006

Valentino Rossi says he came tantalisingly close to switching to Formula 1 in 2006.

Canada GP promoter defends Lance Stroll

Canada GP promoter Francois Dumontier has defended Lance Stroll, as the young Canadian prepares for his second season with his billionaire father's F1 team.

Mercedes, not Ferrari, will be 2020 rival says Marko

Dr Helmut Marko does not think Ferrari will get in the way of Red Bull's fight for the 2020 title against Mercedes.

Williams loses major sponsor Rexona

Amid a deep performance crisis, Williams has lost yet another major sponsor.

JANUARY 6, 2020

Ferrari admits Hamilton met with chairman

Ferrari needs "two experienced drivers" for 2021, according to team boss Mattia Binotto.

Racing Point aiming for fourth in 2020

Racing Point can finish fourth overall in 2020, according to Sergio Perez.

Leclerc equal number 1 now thinks Prost

Charles Leclerc is now "equal number 1" at Ferrari.

Raikkonen eyes world rally title

Kimi Raikkonen says he wants to add a world rally title to his CV in the future.

Pecking order to be similar in 2021 says Binotto

The pecking order in 2021 will "not be very different" to today, according to Ferrari team boss Mattia Binotto.

Stroll admits he must catch teammate Perez

Lance Stroll, the son of team owner Lawrence Stroll, says he knows he has to up his game at Racing Point alongside Sergio Perez in 2020.

2020 delicate for Vettel says Montezemolo

Former Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo says 2020 will be a "delicate" moment for Sebastian Vettel.

Hamilton better than Verstappen says Marko

Lewis Hamilton is still better than Max Verstappen, according to the Red Bull driver's boss Dr Helmut Marko.

Ferrari must improve pitstops

Ferrari must speed up its pitstops in 2020, boss Mattia Binotto has admitted.

Haas came close to ousting driver for 2020

Gunther Steiner has admitted he was "pretty close" to taking drastic measures after Haas' two drivers crashed at Silverstone last year.

Sponsor says Kubica involved in Alfa Romeo deal

Robert Kubica will have an important role at Alfa Romeo in 2020, the Polish driver's sponsor PKN Orlen has announced.

Beating top teams not possible in 2020 says Seidl

It is "not possible" for McLaren to take on the top three teams until the budget cap comes into force.

2020 Williams to be evolution says Russell

Williams has determined areas of the team's cars in 2018 and 2019 that were "fundamentally wrong".