Formula One News — November 2013

NOVEMBER 15, 2013

Franchitti announces retirement

Three-time Indianapolis 500 winner and four time Indycar champion Dario Franchitti has announced that he will retire from the sport on medical advice following a crash in Houston last month.

NOVEMBER 14, 2013

Thursday Press Conference

United States GP - Thursday Press Conference

McLaren announces Magnussen to pair with Button in 2014

The McLaren Mercedes F1 team has announced that Keven Magnussen will partner Jenson Button for the 2014 season.

Lotus confirms Kovalainen

The Lotus-Renault Formula team has announced that Finnish driver Heikki Kovalainen will replace the injured Kimi Raikkonen for the final two races of the season.

Perez worried, Maldonado happy after F1 team splits

Two drivers newly available on the 2014 market appeared to have vastly different moods on Thursday when contemplating their respective futures.

Todt to remain FIA president

Jean Todt will remain president of F1's governing body, the FIA, for a second term.

Epsilon Euskadi's Villadelprat convicted

The final chapter in Epsilon Euskadi's failed bid to enter formula one took place this week in a Spanish court.

Rosberg claims speed 'equal' to Hamilton

Nico Rosberg thinks he is rounding out his first F1 season with Lewis Hamilton as his teammate "about equal" with the 2008 world champion.

Horner says Alonso encouraged Vettel booing

Christian Horner has accused Fernando Alonso of encouraging his fans to boo world champion Sebastian Vettel on the podium this year.

Ferrari blocked Hulkenberg's Lotus move?

Ferrari stopped Nico Hulkenberg from joining Lotus for the last two grands prix of 2013.

F1 champion Piquet has heart surgery

Triple world champion Nelson Piquet had heart surgery this week.

Schumacher approached for Raikkonen's seat

Heikki Kovalainen may only have been Lotus' third choice as the 2013 successor for surgery-bound Kimi Raikkonen.

NOVEMBER 13, 2013

Lotus looks to announce Kovalainen as Raikkonen replacement

Lotus is poised to announce Heikki Kovalainen as the replacement for his surgery-bound countryman Kimi Raikkonen for the last two races of 2013.

Hulkenberg turned down offer to replace Raikkonen

Nico Hulkenberg turned down an offer from Lotus to replace the surgery-bound Kimi Raikkonen for the remaining two grands prix of 2013.

Kubica insists F1 return not impossible

Robert Kubica has admitted it is unlikely he will ever return to formula one.

$600m Morocco GP deal likely

Morocco has emerged as the latest strong contender to join the ever-expanding formula one calendar.

Perez critcizes McLaren

Sergio Perez's marriage to McLaren seems definitely over, as the Mexican criticised the great British team at the tail end of its disappointing 2013 season.

Williams hints Smedley to be next signing

Williams has admitted Rob Smedley could be the next big name to join the beleaguered British team.

McLaren backs away from title sponsor announcement

The heat of the 2014 'silly season' is now squarely on McLaren, amid rumours the British team has decided to replace Sergio Perez with rookie Kevin Magnussen.

NOVEMBER 12, 2013

Injured Alonso to fight on in Austin

Fernando Alonso and Ferrari have ended the fevered speculation about the Spaniard's participation in this weekend's US grand prix.

Whitmarsh not denying mounting Perez exit rumours

Martin Whitmarsh has not denied mounting speculation that Sergio Perez will be ousted by McLaren after Brazil's 2013 season finale.

After Massa signing, more news to follow says Williams

More news will follow now that Felipe Massa has been signed up by Williams for 2014.

Bottas knew about 2014 deal for some time

Valtteri Bottas has admitted he knew for some time in advance that he will be staying at Williams beyond 2013.

Lopez admits frustration with Raikkonen surgery

Gerard Lopez, the head of Lotus' team owner Genii, might be among the cynics after news broke that Kimi Raikkonen will sit out the rest of the season.