Formula One News — May 2004
MAY 8, 2004
Practice 4 Results
Spanish GP - Practice Session 4 Results
What is the GPWC doing now?
The GPWC is now considered by most people in the Formula 1 paddock to be a moribund organization and the plan appears to be each of the Formula 1 teams to negotiate their own commercial deal with Bernie Ecclestone's Formula One Management.
Queen Elizabeth to open MTC
The McLaren Technology Centre will be officially opened on Wednesday next week with HRH Queen Elizabeth II.
Practice 3 Results
Spanish GP - Practice Session 3 Results
Meanwhile in the High Court...
Tom Walkinshaw, the former owner of the Arrows F1 team, may have to pay a $23.3m bill following a ruling in the High Court in London yesterday.
Newey to compete in historic Le Mans event
McLaren technical director Adrian Newey is to take part in the Le Mans Classic historic races in July.
GPWC meeting for Barcelona
There is to be a meeting of the GPWC in Barcelona tomorrow to discuss the next moves in the negotiations over the future of the Formula 1 revenues.
Street racing in Bilbao
There will be racing on the streets of the Spanish city of Bilboa next year on a 2.4-mile street circuit close to the new Guggenheim Museum. The aim of the project is to increase international awareness of the city and boost tourism.
Jeff Gordon in the paddock
NASCAR star Jeff Gordon is in Barcelona this weekend but he is not looking to break into Formula 1. Gordon enjoyed his test with Williams last year and says he would like to try an F1 car again.
MAY 7, 2004
Practice 2 Report - Button on top
Spanish GP - Practice Session 2 Report
Friday Photos
Spanish GP - Friday Photos
Friday Press Conference
Spanish GP - Friday Press Conference
Practice 2 Results
Spanish GP - Practice Session 2 Results
Practice 1 Results
Spanish GP - Practice Session 1 Results
MAY 6, 2004
Richards confirms Honda deal
BAR-Honda boss David Richards says that a deal is in place with Honda for the years ahead.
BAR has made a step forward
Jenson Button says that the BAR-Honda team has made another step forward since Imola when the British driver put his car on pole position.
Verstappen to test for Jordan
Jos Verstappen will test for Jordan-Ford next month. Jordan recently did a deal with Jos's sponsor Trust, starting rumours that Jos might move in to replace Nick Heidfeld.
Spanish Grand Prix Preview
Spanish GP - Preview
MAY 5, 2004
Why Formula 1 might go to Libya
Libyan leader Colonel Mu'ammar al-Qadhafi was rumoured to be planning to visit the recent Grand Prix in Bahrain but instead he sent his Prime Minister Shukri Mohammed Ghanem.
F1 should not fear Turkey
Given that the Formula 1 circus is due to visit Turkey next year, it is worth noting that the country's security services have just uncovered a bomb attack which was being planned for the NATO Summit, which is due to take place in the city at the end of June.
Allowing racers to work hard
The British government has been giving details of its new approach to the European Uuion Working Time Directive. The UK was recently forced to give up its system which allowed companies to opt out of the system, stirring up opposition in a number of industries, including motor racing.
More about the Swiss F1 circuit
More details are emerging about the plans for a new Formula 1 circuit in Switzerland. The promoters of the project are led by Claude Haldi, the president of the Vaud automobile club and a wellknown name in racing circles.
MAY 4, 2004
A Swiss circuit
The plans for a Formula 1 circuit in Switzerland have been revealed and the track, which the promoters hope will be built near the town of Moudon, in the hills behind Lausanne, have already been drafted by F1 circuit designer Hermann Tilke.
What was not said in Monaco
The big issue that was not addressed at the Monaco meeting is a financial settlement for Formula 1. This was the crux of the problem that led to the establishment of the now moribund GPWC organization which claimed that it would give the teams a better financial deal than that on offer from Ecclestone.