Formula One News — January 2002

JANUARY 22, 2002

Prost - a decision today?

Alain Prost spent Monday in meetings with the judicial administrator Franck Michel and the various proposals which Prost is believed to have been put to the court official.

Wurz fast in Barcelona, Jaguar missing from action

McLaren and Sauber continued testing in Barcelona on Tuesday, where McLaren test driver Alexander Wurz set a new track record behind the wheel of an interim MP4/16.

The good news for (some) Prost staff

The future of the Prost Grand Prix team may not be clear at the moment but if the worst comes to the worst there is a good chance that a number of them will be able to find work just around the corner at Citroen Sport.

Oh, what a pickle!

The organizational mess on the Monte Carlo has created a rather alarming precedent in motor racing jurisprudence - a complicated enough business as it is.

What, Eddie, no launch?

Eddie Jordan is always one for surprises but the team's decision to finish off the new car and go running with it without even announcing a launch date is both a good sign and a bad sign for the team.

Keep an eye on Liuzzi

Vitantonio Liuzzi, the World Karting Champion, who also raced last year in the Italian Formula Renault series, is to take the top drive in German Formula 3 this year

JANUARY 21, 2002

Rubens in hot water

Before he damaged his Ferrari in a heavy accident in Valencia last week, Rubens Barrichello gave his first press conference of the year at the annual Marlboro skiing event.

New Jordan EJ-12 has Silverstone shakedown

The Jordan Honda EJ12 today successfully completed its first shakedown test, running on the South Circuit at Silverstone, with Takuma Sato at the wheel.

McLaren, Sauber kick off Barcelona test

McLaren and Sauber began testing at the Circuit de Catalunya on Monday, where David Coulthard topped the time sheets ahead Nick Heidfeld and teammate Alexander Wurz.

Former F1 driver in trouble

Former Formula 1 driver Ian Ashley has been released on bail after being arrested at London's Heathrow Airport, allegedly trying to carry offensive weapons onto a flight to Seattle.

Verstappen confirms himself at Arrows!

The mystery deepens at Arrows. Jos Verstappen, who was signed by Arrows last summer, then mysteriously not confirmed by Arrows when they signed Enrique Bernoldi, told his fanclub that he will definitely be driving for the Leafield based team in 2002.

Ferrari wraps up Valencia test

Rubens Barrichello was back behind the wheel for Ferrari on Monday for the first time since his spectacular crash on Saturday.

Is Sao Paulo a city where F1 should be racing?

Crime in Sao Paulo has become a very serious issue in recent weeks and the murder of one of the mayors of one of the communes close to the city on Sunday has once again brought home to Brazilians just how dangerous the city has become since the autumn.

Frentzen and Prost

A spokesperson for Prost Grand Prix has said that the team has no contract or written agreement with Heinz-Harald Frentzen to drive for them in 2002.

Stewart gives thanks

Jackie Stewart and the British Grand Prix lobby have given thanks to the local community for the support received in the Northamptonshire circuit's continued bid to retain its Formula 1 event.

JANUARY 20, 2002

Cheating and accusations - as bad as each other

The one thing that Formula 1 does not need right now is cheating - or allegations that cheating is going on. Both are as damaging as the other.

Another Japanese star on the horizon

Ryo Fukuda had his first taste of a BAR-Honda on Saturday in Valencia.

Crime getting out of control in Sao Paulo

The mayor of Sao Paulo Mayor Marta Suplicy has told Globo TV that the city has now reached "the limit of tolerance" because of a new wave of violent crimes and kidnappings.

Schumacher fastest again in Valencia

Michael Schumacher topped the time sheets again in Valencia on Sunday.

Richards may sign 100 year rally deal

David Richards may take a leaf out of Bernie Ecclestone's book and sign a 100-year deal for the TV rights to the World Rally Championship.

McLaren team expects Raikkonen wrecks

The McLaren team says that it is not expecting the coming season to be without a few crashes for new boy Kimi Raikkonen.

Minardi unveils Go KL logo

In a dramatic ceremony in Kuala Lumpur Sunday, complete with base jumpers and fireworks, Minardi unveiled its new "Go KL" emblem that will adorn the Minardis' sidepods and engine covers during the coming season.

JANUARY 19, 2002

Dennis says that next two seasons will be tough

McLaren Chairman Ron Dennis has predicted that the next two seasons will be tough commercially for the F1 business and there could be a painful squeeze which will make it hard for some teams to survive.

Coulthard upbeat about new season prospects

David Coulthard positively radiated a glow of renewed confidence at the launch of the new McLaren-Mercedes MP4/17 and is confident that he will challenge for the World Championship.