Formula One News — December 2001

DECEMBER 15, 2001

Kyalami to be redeveloped

The latest word from South Africa is that the Kyalami circuit in the suburbs of Johannesberg is to be redeveloped once again with half the current circuit being sold off for a housing development, leaving a track which will be only about two miles in length.

Canada wins FIA race award

The FIA Prize-giving gala took place at the Monte Carlo Sporting Club on Friday night with all the FIA World Champions being honored for their achievements in 2001.

Minardi to test Formula Euro Open stars

The Minardi team was very happy this year with the performances of Fernando Alonso and is now looking at a series of other young men who have done well in the Formula Euro Open Telefonica by Nissan series.

DECEMBER 14, 2001

British GP gets OK in Monaco

The British Grand Prix received the go ahead for 2002 from the FIA World MotorSport Council in Monaco today.

A significant happening in Monaco

The World Motor Sport Council meets in Monaco today and all the issues of the moment will be sorted out - probably without much drama.

British sports minister supports Silverstone as World Council meets

The FIA World Motor Sport Council meets in Monaco later today with the big issue being whether or not the British GP will get a place on the 2002 calendar.

Cochet and Arrows

There are suggestions in France that Prost test driver Jonathan Cochet might be signed up by Arrows. This would only come about if France Telecom, the owner of title sponsor Orange wanted Cochet in one of the cars.

Jaguar strengthens its management team

Niki Lauda's revamping of the Jaguar Racing Formula 1 team continues with two new key appointments.

Post-tobacco sponsors more demanding

Jim Wright, the marketing director of Williams F1 says that F1 teams need be more "creative and sensitive" as Formula 1 heads towards a future without tobacco sponsorship.

F1 on the radio in the United States

Formula 1 will be given massive radio coverage in the United States next year with plans for a syndicated live two-hour broadcast from every Grand Prix starting in Melbourne in March.

DECEMBER 13, 2001

Sponsorship rethink required says experts

Motor Sport needs to rethink its marketing messages if it wants to stay in pole position as a sponsorship vehicle according to a panel of leading marketers from both sides of the Atlantic.

Jaguar Racing to get Castrol backing

Although the deal has yet to be announced we understand that BP will be backing Jaguar Racing in 2002 but it will be doing it with the Castrol brand rather than the main BP company.

Financial problems multiply for F1 rights holder Kirch

F1 commercial rights holder and media group Kirch sustained another body blow to its credibility today (13 December) when Rupert Murdoch's BskyB organization admitted it is poised to write off its $2 billion stake in the ailing German company which is battling against huge debts.

Morgan Grenfell sues EM.TV

It may be ancient history in the fast-moving world of Formula 1 but it is worth mentioning that Morgan Grenfell Private Equity investors are suing EM.TV in an effort to recover some of the money which was lost after EM.TV's shares tumbled last year.

Renault announces Driver Development program

Renault has announced plans to help the careers of various young drivers in the years ahead and has selected Eric Salignon (France), Robert Kubica (Poland), Fabio Carbone (Brazil) and Carlo Van Dam (Holland) as its chosen drivers. The four drivers are at different stages of their F1 careers.

Folz to head ACEA

ACEA, the European association of automobile manufacturers, is the organization behind plans to launch a Grand Prix World Championship in 2008.

Bahrain reveals circuit plans

The State of Bahrain Ministry of Works has revealed details of the racing circuit it is building on a 400 acres site. The track, which has been designed by the German engineering company Tilke, will have a variety of different configurations including a dragstrip and two short circuits which can operate independently of one another.

Bernie threatens Belgian GP

F1 frontman Bernie Ecclestone has threatened that the Belgian Grand Prix could be cut from the 2003 F1 calendar if the government imposes a national ban on tobacco advertising.

Brother extends Jordan sponsorship

Jordan Grand Prix announced Thursday that Brother International has extended its sponsorship deal with the team through the 2003 season.

CART could change name in marketing review

CART, America's "most advanced form of auto racing" could be given a name change as part of a marketing review by the open-wheel series brand.

Jaguar Racing secure claims marketing chief

The future of Jaguar Racing is in safe hands the UK-based F1 team's director of marketing told delegates at the Motor SportBusiness Conference in Monte Carlo.

DECEMBER 12, 2001

British GP - crisis over?

The flurry of activity in recent days about the future of the British Grand Prix may be over.

Teams discuss the end of qualifying engines

It is being reported that the Formula 1 teams discussed limiting the cars to two engines per Grand Prix event at last month's Technical Working Group meeting.

Miami makes a bid...

"The Forge GP", a charity Karting race held through the streets of South Beach on December 5th may have been more meaningful than might first appear.