Formula One News — September 2001

SEPTEMBER 18, 2001

Schumacher denies intention to miss US GP

Michael Schumacher has denied speculation that he is considering missing the last two grands prix of the season, in the USA and Japan.

Sato and Jordan

There are increasing suggestions that Jordan Grand Prix may sign up Takuma Sato to race alongside Giancarlo Fisichella next year.

Bernie meets the Russians

Bernie Ecclestone was a man of many meetings at Monza but one which may be significant was with a number of Russians involved in the plans to hold a race in Moscow in 2003.

Shanghai city government pushing for international investment

The Shanghai city government, which is pondering a bid to host a Grand Prix in 2003, is very keen to attract international business to the city.

Designers on the prowl at Monza

FORMULA 1 designers Alan Jenkins and Sergio Rinland were both spotted flitting between the teams at Monza.

Top security at Indy to allay F1 fears

The organizers of the US Grand Prix at Indianapolis are sparing no efforts to ensure that the elaborate security measures they have in place will allay concerns of the visiting F1 fraternity and spectators alike.

SEPTEMBER 17, 2001

Enge to stay with Prost

Tomas Enge is expected to finish the season with Prost Grand Prix following a promising debut at Monza.

Alesi says Briatore is "obscene"

Jean Alesi has launched a withering attack on Flavio Briatore for the role he played in stopping the drivers from observing a no overtaking agreement in the first two chicanes at Monza on Sunday.

Mixed feelings remain over Indianapolis

Juan Pablo Montoya grinned broadly as he sat in the media conference after his maiden formula one victory in the Italian grand prix and said he was looking forward to the US grand prix at Indianapolis in two weeks time.

Zanardi still in critical condition

Alex Zanardi is still in a critical condition in the intensive care unit at the Unfallkrankenhaus Berlin (UKB) in Marzahn, a suburb of Berlin.

Schumacher uncertain for Indianapolis

There were suggestions this morning that Michael Schumacher may decide that he does not want to race at Indianapolis on September 30.

SEPTEMBER 16, 2001

Drivers want no overtaking on first lap at Monza

The Formula 1 drivers, clearly rattled by the events in the world in recent days and Alex Zanardi's accident at the Lausitzring, are arguing that there should be no overtaking at the first two chicanes at Monza on Sunday afternoon.

The US Grand Prix

It is now emerging that Bridgestone, Honda and Petronas have not issued instructions that they will not compete in the United States but that they have instructed or suggested to their employees that they do not fly.

Drivers split as race start approaches

Michael Schumacher's exhortation that only one driver would not agreed to no overtaking in the first two chicanes does not appear to reflect the reality of the situation.

Jordan to run with stars and stripe logos

Jordan Grand Prix painted US flags on the back of their cars on Sunday morning for the Italian GP. The initiative came about because Deutsche Post decided it would like to make a gesture as a mark of respect for the victims of the terrorist attacks in New York and Washington earlier in the week.

SEPTEMBER 15, 2001

Zanardi loses legs in Lausitz crash

Alex Zanardi has lost both his legs after a huge accident in the American Memorial 500 at the Lausitzring in Germany.

Sauber to test Massa

The Sauber team is to run Brazilian Felipe Massa next week.

A new threat to the United States GP?

Rumors were circulating late on Saturday night at Monza that three major Asian companies involved in Formula 1 have decided to instruct their racing divisions not to take part in the United States Grand Prix at Indianapolis.

Zanardi transferred to Berlin

Alex Zanardi, seriously injured in the CART race at the Lausitzring, is being rushed to the hospital in Berlin suffering with serious leg injuries.

Zanardi critical after Lausitz crash

Former F1 driver Alex Zanardi has been rushed to the hospital in Germany after a huge accident during the CART race at the Lausitzring.

What did Sauber get from McLaren?

Giving up Kimi Raikkonen was a curious thing for Peter Sauber to have done - but in the world of Formula 1 people do funny things when large checks are on offer.

SEPTEMBER 14, 2001

Mosley gives US GP green light

Max Mosley, the FIA president, has said he believes it should be business as usual when it comes to the United States grand prix at Indianapolis on 30 September, despite this week's terrorist attacks.

Will Hakkinen come back?

The announcement on Friday morning that Mika Hakkinen is to stand down from the West McLaren Mercedes team was not the announcement of a retirement - or at least not on the surface.

Ferrari removes sponsorship logos from cars

Ferrari has decided that as a mark of respect for the American people it will run its cars this weekend without any commercial sponsorship.