Formula One News — March 2001

MARCH 25, 2001

Montoya anticipating good support

JUAN PABLO MONTOYA believes that the support he will receive from his fans at the Brazilian Grand Prix will spur him on for his first finish of the season next week.

Salo goes into wall in first Toyota test

MIKA SALO had a high-speed accident during his first tests with the new Toyota F1b prototype chassis when the car suffered a rear end failure, when part of the composite gearbox casing broke.

Irvine hopes for turn of fortune in Brazil

EDDIE IRVINE and his Jaguar team-mate Luciano Burti have not got the best records at the Brazilian track, Interlagos - but they will both be looking to put their records behind them as they head for the Brazilian Grand Prix this week.

MARCH 24, 2001

Herbert backs Bernoldi

ARROWS test-driver Johnny Herbert has supported the team's stuttering driver Enrique Bernoldi and has rejected claims that he could replace the young Brazilian driver.

Sauber hopes to avoid Brazil fiasco of last season

SAUBER, one of only two teams not to test at Barcelona this week, have been working hard to avoid the technical problems that thwarted their performance at the Brazilian Grand Prix last year.

MARCH 23, 2001

Schumacher completes testing and heads to Brazil

MICHAEL SCHUMACHER completed his testing schedule at the Circuit de Catalunya on Friday as he now turns his attention to a seventh consecutive win at the Brazilian Grand Prix next Sunday.

Toyota president wants to keep Salo and McNish for 2002

TOYOTA MOTORSPORT president Ove Andersson wants this year's test-drivers Allan McNish and Mika Salo to spearhead the team's challenge when they enter Formula One in 2002.

Toyota unveil new test car for entry into Formula One

TOYOTA unveiled their new Formula One test car at the Paul Ricard circuit in France on Friday and kept their feet firmly on the ground for their prospects when they enter the sport for real in 2002.

Ecclestone closer to selling F1 stake

BERNIE ECCLESTONE has this week moved closer to relinquishing overall control of formula one racing as the German media group Kirch formalized its 600 million pound bid for another 25 per cent of his business empire.

MARCH 22, 2001

Franchitti's Jaguar hopes fade

JAGUAR have said that ChampCar driver Dario Franchitti is unlikely to test for the team again this season.

Schumacher flies in Barcelona

MICHAEL SCHUMACHER joined Ferrari at the Barcelona testing session on Thursday and topped the times by more than 0.7 seconds as Formula One's big guns came out to play.

Jaguar plan to keep Irvine

JAGUAR have indicated that they fully intend to retain Eddie Irvine for the 2002 Grand Prix season.

Malaysia wants to retain March date

OFFICIALS at the Sepang circuit - the host of the Malaysian Grand Prix - have said they want to keep the race in its March date on the calendar despite poor attendances last weekend.

Schumacher shoots for glory

MICHAEL SCHUMACHER decided on Thursday that he will appear in a charity football match four days before the Brazilian Grand Prix.

MARCH 21, 2001

Interlagos legal dispute will not affect the race

THE Brazilian Grand Prix is not under threat following a legal dispute that stopped development work at the Interlagos - because the delay was due to the lack of circuit furniture.

DaimlerChrysler mess makes McLaren F1 prospects look sunny

MERCEDES-BENZ is having a bruising time at the moment. Not as far as its car sales are concerned, for they are thriving.

Schumacher may cancel all-star soccer plans

MICHAEL SCHUMACHER is considering cancelling plans to play in a soccer match on the Wednesday before the coming Brazilian Grand Prix.

Barrichello flies home to relax

FERRARI's Rubens Barrichello has already flown to Brazil to begin preparations for the coming Grand Prix at Interlagos by relaxing at home.

Badoer tops testing again

LUCA BADOER topped the times for the second day in a row as testing continued at the Barcelona circuit on Wednesday.

F1 ownership race set to reach possible conclusion

THIS week could finally see the commercial future of the F1 business finally nailed down at a crucial meeting of the FIA World Motor Sport Council which was due to take place in Paris on Wednesday (21 March).

Montoya limited only by his car

FORMER CART star Juan Pablo Montoya believes the most important factor in Grand Prix racing is the car, and the driver can only drive it to its own limit.

MARCH 20, 2001

Head is against long-term traction control

WILLIAMS technical director Patrick Head has said he is against the long-term introduction of traction control in Formula One and sees it only as a short-term solution to making the sport fair.

Malaysia signs race deal until 2010

THE organizers of the Malaysian Grand Prix have agreed a new deal to continue staging the event until 2010.

Todt says stability is the key

FERRARI sporting director Jean Todt has saluted the stability within the Maranello-based team and suggested this is the key to their success so far this season.