Formula One News — November 1998

NOVEMBER 9, 1998

Anyone for tennis?

BERNIE ECCLESTONE says that he is looking at investing in both tennis and soccer with the money he hopes to raise from his planned Formula 1 bond issue.

Reynard goes public

AS we predicted recently Reynard Motorsport is to float on the New York Stock Exchange.

A site for the Indian Grand Prix

AS we suggested in July there are plans for an Indian Grand Prix to be held near Calcutta with a 500-acre site at Bantola having been chosen by the West Bengal state government which has established a 22-member steering committee,

No change at Minardi?

GIANCARLO MINARDI says that his F1 team will probably stick with the same drivers next year and has confirmed that even if there is not a Grand Prix in Argentina Esteban Tuero will remain with the team.

Ressler at Cosworth

THE Ford Motor Company's gradual takeover of hands-on management of its Formula 1 program continued last week with the low-key announcement that it has appointed Neil Ressler as Vice President and Chief Technical Officer of Research and Vehicle Technology and chairman of Cosworth Racing.

BAR skating on thin ice

BRITISH AMERICAN RACING continues to threaten legal action against the FIA over the new regulation which means that the team cannot run two different color schemes on its cars next season.

The story of Farouk and Hassan

IF losing the World Championship was not bad enough, Michael Schumacher has come under attack in recent days from other directions with the most bizarre story coming from the Algerian government's daily newspaper El-Moudjahid.

Panis back to hospital

OLIVIER PANIS flew from Japan to Canada where he went back to the Sacre Coeur Hospital in Montreal to undergo an operation to remove various metal pins and plates from his legs which were inserted after his crash during the Canadian GP in June 1997.

NOVEMBER 2, 1998

Changes at Sauber

THERE have been some fairly major changes at Sauber in recent weeks with the racing team being reorganized under the control of German Jost Capito, who was previously in charge in the organization of the Sauber Petronas Engineering road car engine project.

...and then Bernie flies to New York

AFTER his meeting with President Menem, Bernie Ecclestone flew to the United States for a short holiday with his wife and children in New York. We believe that Bernie will also have talks with Indianapolis Motor Speedway boss Tony George to finalize the deal for Grand Prix racing to go to Indy in the summer of 2000.

Menem meets Ecclestone

BERNIE ECCLESTONE met Argentine President Carlos Menem when he visited London last week.

The non-existent Honda project

ALTHOUGH Honda has yet to officially confirm that it is entering Formula 1 in the year 2000 there is no doubt that a team is being put together and that it will begin running cars in both Japan and Europe within days of officially confirming its entry into F1.

How to stop teams testing

WE understand that having failed to convince teams to restrict testing Bernie Ecclestone has discovered that Bridgestone is keen to keep down the number of tires needed next year and would like to stop the level of testing which currently exists.

Brown to stay at McLaren

WHILE many teams are undergoing big changes at the moment McLaren is currently fairly stable although there is likely to be some restructuring in its race engineering team next year as it will once again include former Williams engineer David Brown.

Stoddart plans F1 take-off

AUSTRALIAN airline owner Paul Stoddart says he wants to run his own Formula 1 team and last week took a big step towards that when he bought all the movable assets of the Tyrrell F1 team from British American Racing.

BMW and Verstappen

THE Williams team recently delivered two FW20 chassis to Munich to be used by BMW for engine testing next season. The BMW engines are somewhat delayed but the latest version of the V10 is producing promising horsepower figures on the dynos. The first of these engines will be ready to run in the car in February when we expect that Jos Verstappen will be named the team's test driver, having had experience with both Renault and Ford F1 engines in recent years.

Good news at BAR

BRITISH AMERICAN RACING has finally confirmed that Ricardo Zonta is to be Jacques Villeneuve's partner next season and the announcement - which had been delayed because of the branding problems encountered by the team in recent weeks - suggests that a solution has been found between the various BAT companies involved in BAR.

Raising cash for Arrows

TOM WALKINSHAW's Arrows team was linked to a possible deal with Toyota during the Suzuka weekend but we do not think anything will come of it, despite the fact that Tom spent five hours meeting with Toyota bosses.