JANUARY 23, 2003
No more swerving for Mr Irvine
Eddie Irvine is finally admitting that he is not going to get a drive this year in Formula 1, despite lengthy talks with Jordan Grand Prix, which began in July last year.
The 37-year-old says that Jordan - the team with which he started his F1 career in 1993 - cannot afford him.
"Due to the economic downturn, Jordan are forced to look for a driver who brings extra funds to the team whilst I can only bring speed, reliability and greater experience," he told The Sun newspaper. Irvine told the newspaper that he would be willing to take a pay cut from the $10m salary he received last year from Jaguar Racing.
Irvine says that he still open to offers but in Formula 1 circles there are no real signs that anyone is going make any.
|Print News Story|